At 12:15 PM EST, the Sun moves into Aries, and we officially reach the Spring Equinox! Known as Alban Eilir in the Druid tradition, it’s the time of equal light and darkness in the waxing half of the year as we move toward the full bloom of light and lush abundance at the Summer Solstice, and the beginning of another astrological new year. Though those “new year” energies won’t be entirely ripe for the most potent planting until the Aries New Moon on April 15, we’ll certainly be feeling the impulse to get things moving in the direction of our dreams.
This year’s spring equinox is a good time to pause before the challenges of Mercury Rx from March 22 – April 15. With the Moon in earthy Taurus forming a trine to Saturn in Capricorn today, we’re more supported in achieving a greater sense of balance as we move through the equinox energy gateway – a wonderful energetic support, as fire energies become dominant and earthy energies will bring steadfastness, resolve, and more peace to the mix. It’s a good day to set intentions for physical abundance, to get back to the body, to put our efforts into building something strong and solid out of our ambitions.
And there’s no shortage of passion to help us plow forward, despite the Mercury station energies at present. MERCURY meets with VENUS in a conjunction today, and a new annual cycle begins. We might feel that we’ve reached a standstill in relationship circumstances and desires that leave us feeling angry; frustrations with having what we want in terms of physical abundance, in having the physique we wish to have; or even in feelings of jealousy springing up that spill out in more toxic ways that unusual. That’s not surprisingly, with these two planets squaring PLUTO for this conjunction, and Mercury turning retrograde on the 22nd.
Though Alban Eilir spurs us into action as the fiery Aries Sun impels us to set things off with a bang, Mercury’s station shows that we may be revising that which is set into motion now through its station direct on April 15. This is a natural part of an unfolding process, and points to aspects of our soul’s growth when this energy is woven into new beginnings as it is this week.
Points for Contemplation
- What dreams am I carrying that are ready to spring into life within me? And what inner/outer impediments are keeping me from fulfilling their manifestation? Issues that might present themselves in the collective are impulsivity, anger triggers, jealousy, karmic issues related to love, money, self-worth, and pleasure.
- What old themes are emerging in my life for reassessment around these issues, or my perceptions of Self and life in general? (Make time to meditate on these from March 22 – April 15 especially). Am I willing to welcome these experiences as teachers on the path? Am I willing to revisit old daunting issues with courage, knowing that greater strength and expression of I AM consciousness await as I move through challenges to my autonomy?
- Can I feel gratitude for that which is already growing or fully bloomed as I work toward new goals? Gratitude and honoring our accomplishments so far is powerful medicine for moving forward with greater trust in the process of life, and thanksgiving for gifts already received.
- Am I willing to be flexible enough to sow new seeds and flow with the need to make changes to what’s set in motion now, carrying this awareness through the season?
- How can I release patterns of impatience, impulsivity, and toxic anger in ways that block my progress?
Celebrating the Spring Equinox
- Create an Alban Eilir altar space, simple or elaborate, that symbolizes what spring means and feels like to you – a space that captures the essence of new life springing forward. Traditional decorations are eggs (colored beeswax egg candles are lovely!), pastel-colored flowers such as tulips, daffodils, or spring wildflowers that are blooming in your area. Pastel candlesticks in purple, green, pink, and white are beautiful additions. Rabbits are also associated with Alban Eilir, as they are connected with fertility, new life, leaps forward, and overcoming fears to experience success. Use this space for meditation, journaling, contemplation, or ritual throughout the season.
- Commune with nature. Make time for connecting with Earth Mother by spending time outside. Enjoy time in a garden, earthing in your backyard, putting food out for animal visitors, or finding a space for simple outdoor ritual and meditation. I often brew ceremonial cacao for spiritual sojourns into the wild, allowing her medicine to open new realms of awareness, experience, and healing while communing with the natural world (and the Elementals that thrive there!). Consider taking a small Crane Bag or pocket altar, filled with sacred objects, to consecrate your chosen destination and connect more deeply with the spirits of the land. Or have a bonfire, celebrating the returning of the Sun’s light and vitality to brighten our days, and the infusion of Aries Sun energy filling us with the passion and drive to act with courage on new beginnings. Call in the fire spirits for support; sing and drum to move energy and experience healing. Scry with fire as you would with water or mirrors, asking messages and next steps to become clear. Envision this fire burning away the last of winter and stagnant energies that might have accompanied it, clearing the space on your land and in your being for new beginnings to emerge.
- Make a spell bottle or sachet. Fill the vessel of your choosing with dried herbs that have associations with the equinox. Some traditional associations include thyme, marjoram, vervain, lemon balm, sunflower seeds, and rosehips. Upon completion, connect with the spirit of these substances, asking them in to support you in your purpose and extending love and gratitude to them for their support. Bless with Jasmine or oils made for consecration, and place in a sacred space.
- Do spring cleaning or a home blessing. It’s a powerful time to freshen up the energies in your home! Even a quick round of cleaning does wonders to clear energies in a space. Envision negativity being swept or washed away and transmuted as you go, running an essential oils diffuser or spritzing the air with earth-friendly natural scents (be mindful of using oils that are harmful to pets). Or create a spring wreath or bundle of herbs and flowers to hang on your door, blessing it with moon water, singing, or energetic healing work to call energies of protection, harmony, and happiness into your home. Lavender is a beautiful multipurpose intentional herb that calls in gentle yet powerful energies, as one suggestion. Sprinkle blessed water around your home inside or out, or other animal-safe herbs as you feel called.
How will you be celebrating the Spring Equinox? Feel free to comment with your ideas for celebration, and may your spring be blessed!
With much love and the blessings of the Awen,
© Elen at BiFi Jedi, 2018. Unauthorized use or duplication of this material without express and written permission from the author/owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to this writer with appropriate and specific direction to the document containing the original content.